While there are many people out there who do not see the value of social media, as a business owner one cannot overlook its use. Of course, for social media to truly effective, knowing a few basics about how to make the most of it is important. These 16 tips will help make using social media easier and more effective.
- Always be sure the content is interesting.
- Don’t be afraid to post a controversial topic that is appropriate to your industry. Just be ready to defend/explain your position.
- Remember that most people prefer pictures to lengthy text. In fact, 65% of people are visual learners.
- While numbers are important on social media, keep in mind that engagement is even better.
- Be sure to occasionally signpost (link back) to your website via your social media pages.
- Ask questions and then listen to the answers.
- Be sure that your company profile is completely filled out, and that you have used keywords in the description.
- Don’t be afraid to try Pinterest – it’s not just a place for recipes, crafts and home decor ideas!
- Don’t begin Tweets with @whoever as this limits who can see the tweet. Rather, type it as .@whoever (note the period) as this allows everyone to see the tweet.
- Schedule posts on Twitter, just before or just after the hour.
- Keep up with the changes on Facebook—especially those that pertain to business accounts.
- Be sure that your full street address is on Facebook, so that people are able to check in.
- Be careful about what you say to people, and don’t bad mouth competition, it’s just poor business.
- Facebook and Pinterest, in addition to YouTube, are great venues for posting videos about what your company has to offer, be sure you are using them all.
- Post coupons on your social sites—it builds interest and income.
- Don’t over socialize…it is not necessary to be on every social media platform. Choose 3 or 4 that will suit your needs and put your efforts into those.
Social media is a great platform for business, so be sure you are not overlooking its power and potential. Do the posts yourself or hire someone to do it for you, but whatever you do, do not ignore it.